Illegal dumping investigations training
Between 2016-2017 Victorian Litter Action Alliance members Sustainability Victoria and EPA Victoria partnered to deliver four, two-day, Illegal Dumping Investigations Training courses in Victoria; the first in Wangaratta, delivered in partnership with the North East Waste and Resource Recovery Group, followed by sessions in Melbourne, Gippsland, and Bendigo.
Training was delivered by staff from NSW EPA's Training Unit via AELERT, with the following outcomes for participants:
- Increase knowledge and understanding of authorized officers about the waste regulatory framework
- Empower and encourage authorized officers to proactively tackle littering and illegal dumping problems in their area
- Inform authorized officers about the resources available to help them prevent littering and illegal dumping
- Provide opportunity for authorized officers to liaise with each other and other regulators and learn from each other’s experiences.
Ninety two participants attended in total representing more than 15 local government organisations, two Resort Management Boards, Authorised Officers from both the Department of Environment, Land, Planning and Water (DELWP) and Parks Victoria, EPA Victoria, Sustainability Victoria, and the Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group.
Participants fed back that the training sessions were valuable in gaining further understanding about the legislation and networking opportunities, specifically:
- Interpreting the legislation, legislative examples, and understanding powers
- Finding out what the issues are broader than their jurisdictions and how they can be managed
- Networking with other public land managers to understand different approaches to litter management and opportunities for partnerships.
Subscribe to litterALLY to hear about new training announcements.